Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls


8/10 - An exceptional memoir, but a difficult read. I've come to realize that so many things change when you become a parent. I'm no longer able to watch the horror flicks I loved as a child, and I would just as soon not know anything about what's going on in the world. Ignorance really is bliss for me. I guess that's what ruined this book for me. It is truely an exceptional read, honest, heartbreaking, powerful, amazing. Yet I could not get past the GOD AWFUL parents. I know you where supposed to come to appreciate them for who they were, but I just couldn't. You shouldn't be a parent if you can't put your kids before yourself. That's just basic. But these people didn't even have them as high as 3 or 4 on their list of priorities. It made me sick, and I wanted to throttle them. The fact that 3 out of their 4 children turned out to be normal healthy functional adults is pure miracle. I highly recommend you read it if you think that's something you can get past.

No comments: