Monday, January 01, 2007

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver


10/10 ~ I was hesitant to read this book, because I had heard so many great things about the Poisonwood Bible and only managed to get through 6 chapters of that. However, my fellow Fiction Lovers (see links) assured me that this was still worth a try. Wow was it ever! I read the last two chapters with tears streaming down my face. It made me realize why reading is so much better than watching TV. How can you understand the emotions of a character by watching them on a two dimensional screen, never knowing how they're really feeling inside. Taylor was all tom boy tough on the outside, but insecure and shy on the inside. Plus I think being a mother myself, really pushed the tears over the edge. This will be a tough act to follow, and definitely deserving of the 10 out of 10 rating.

No comments: