Sunday, October 29, 2006

The World According to Garp by John Irving


I hesitate to say I liked this book. I do think I liked it, but I've come to realize that I am a terrible sucker for a happy ending. I just feel so incomplete without the dessert after the main course. I really like John Irving's writing style, but when I get so involved in characters and then you kill them off all the time, I find it hard to come away from the experience feeling satisfied. I realize that this is personal preference thing, and I don't want to say that I enjoy the book. There were parts I enjoyed immensely. I loved the term the "Under Toad" because this is just the sort of term my husband and I would pick up from our daughter and use for eternity. It's just not my kind of book, but it's good to get out of your comfort zone every now and then. Now I'm off to read something really sweet and sappy!!

No comments: