Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett


8/10 - I'm so happy I finally finished this book. I started it last summer and got 300 pages in and had to set it down. This is an epic centered around the building of a cathedral in 12th century England. I enjoyed most of the story line, but found the parts about the actual cathedral construction and the monks tedious. I was deep into a monk chapter when I put down last summer. It also annoyed me when the author felt the need to recap what had happened earlier in the book. I read it, and if I feel I need to refresh my memory, I'll go back a look it up. However, I really enjoyed the love story in it, and it was very interesting to read about life in the 12th century. It was a good book, but I'd be hesistant to recommend it. You'd have to be really committed to reading it.

No comments: